Memphis Yeshiva Invitational

11-7-2015 | Cooper Macs Ground Falcons, 58-50

11-7-2015 | Cooper Macs Ground Falcons, 58-50

By: Ezra Cooper

The first Tier 1 game of the night featured the #6 Cooper Macs against the #7 Flatbush Falcons, The tip went to the hometown Cooper Macs. On the first possession, Jeffrey Owen knocked down a layup to give the Macs an early 2-0 lead. Flatbush answered right back with a circus shot by Elliot Beyda to make it 2-2. However, the Macs answered back with a quick 5-2 run to make it 7-4 early. As the 1st quarter continued on, the score went back and forth. With 1 minute left in the 1st quarter, with the score tied at 9-9. Flatbush stepped up their defense, as they created steals and layups on the break. At the end of the 1st, Flatbush led 13-9.

In the 2nd quarter, Flatbush continued with their up tempo defense, however they struggled to score. Two minutes into the quarter, Flatbush’s Kevin Haddad hit a big time 3 pointer to give the Falcons a 16-11 lead. As the 2nd quarter progressed, the Falcons of Flatbush grew their lead to 10 at 22-12. Towards the end of the half, both teams entered the bonus as the fouls started to pile up. However, after a late 3 pointer by Gabe Itkowitz and a pull up jump shot by the transfer from Seattle, Jeffrey Owen, the Macs cut the lead down to 4 at 25-21 to end the half. Jeffrey Owen and Kevin Haddad each had 9 points for their respective teams at the half, and Jeffrey Owen led all players with 9 rebounds.

Early in the 3rd quarter, the big man for the Macs, Caleb Milobsky, picked up his 4th foul. Immediately, he was relieved by Gabe Itkowitz, the lone sophomore on the team. Midway thought the 3rd, the Macs picked up their first lead after a JJ Kampf offensive rebound and put back. However, Jackie Mishaan answered right back to give Flatbush a 30-29 lead. With 1 minute remaining in the 3rd, JJ Kampf banked in a 3 to give the Macs a 35-34 lead. To close out the 3rd quarter, JJ Kampf made a great pass to Jeffrey Owen to give the Macs a 37-35 lead at the end of the 3rd.

In the 4th quarter, both teams battled as they each looked for a lead. Early in the quarter, Owen knocked down a floater and a layup. With 5 minutes left, Owen knocked down 2 free throws to extend the Macs lead to 4 at 45-41. With 2 and a half left to play, Caleb Milobsky hit a long 2 to extend the lead to 47-43. However, Kevin Haddad came right back for the Falcons and hit 2 free throws to cut the deficit to 2 points. After Milobsky missed 2 free throws, Owen had an offensive rebound to give the Macs a 49-45 lead. On the next possession, Milobsky hit 2 free throws to push the lead to 51-45. The next possession Milobsky hit 2 free throws again to make it 53-45. However, Haddad hit a big jumper to get it back down to 6. The Macs, however, responded well. They knocked down their free throws at the end, and took home a 58-50 win. Jeffrey Owen finished with a double-double with 28 points and 14 rebounds. For Flatbush, Kevin Haddad led the way with 16 points.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply